Sunday, October 18, 2009

10.17 Hunt

Saturday was definitely one of the first cold days of the year. It was the kind of day when I wake up and step outside in shorts and a t-shirt and I realize I am definitely going to have to add an extra layer. After waking up at 5:00 am and not being able to fall back asleep I got some work done for PMI, spent some time with Keith on skype and then knocked out the yard work. Then the thought came up, "If I dont hunt tonight I am really going to feel like an idiot because the time of year and weather just doesnt get any better than this - and if I dont go then all the big bucks in the woods are going to be galivanting around the field while I sit on my couch and channel surf." So I went.

We got there early and I walked to my stand so slowly that I wondered at times if I was even moving. I was convinced that at any second a buck was going to step out but instead it just took a painfully long time to get there.

I now have a habit of getting out of the stand right before dark and walking to check all the fields. It worked one time and I saw 2 bucks so now I am pretty much convinced that it will work every time. Last night however, I got out of the stand and crept to the next field only to turn around and see a buck staring straight at me from the field I had been sitting over all afternoon. SON OF A!!!

Jonathan and I each saw several does but none of them were being chased. Chris Burden shot a MONSTER down on Savage Island after his brother-in-law forgot to tell him that it was a does only hunt. It is a pretty buck and I have to say that I am jealous. Kind of funny considering that I nearly quit deer hunting last season.

No comments:

Post a Comment