Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Prom


As I was sitting in the surf this past weekend I had a moment where I realized something funny about myself that is actually very telling of my personality. Funny how those moments come at the most random times. But, that is also the nature of surfing in that you get to a place mentally when you're on the water that really allows you to think.

My interesting thought that came to me actually had to do with prom. I absoluted hated prom. Why? Because you dance at prom. I hate dancing. I will probably write a completely different thread about dancing at some point because I could definitely go on and on. My realization in regards to prom though was simply that when I was at prom I actually envied the chaperons. While everyone else had to try to act cool and dance their pants off I just wanted to be the guy who stood in the corner, had a mustache and could just observe - not in a child predator way of course even though I just described a really creepy guy.

Anyway, I think that defines me in a lot of ways. Its probably what has earned me the title of peer father in Charleston. I dont know if its as much the fact that I was never really allowed to just be a silly kid and be crazy and goofy or if its that I just have an "older" mind and outlook on things. The truth is that there is nothing appealing still about big parties and dancing and/or things like charades, karaoke, pranks etc.

I think in a lot of ways I need to have more of the heart of a child but its something that I find difficult. There are days I wish I could just be a little more spontaneous, carefree and wild but that hasnt happened yet. Fortunately, I married a wonderful person who are all of those things so she balances me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment