Thursday, February 4, 2010

Cold Fish


I have been feeling a bit of cabin fever setting in recently with way too much time being spent indoors. These times make me realize what an amazing blessing it is that I live in an area of the country where the majority of the year I can spend a great deal of time outside. There is definitely something healthy for me about being able to end a day of work and spend an hour or two on a surfboard or with a fishing rod in my hand. There is also something amazing about starting a morning well before daylight to meet a friend and go chase after wild turkeys in the spring.

In some ways January and February are kind of nice for that reason. The weather is generally pretty bad and this winter has been one of the coldest on record. So the outdoor activities are very limited but it build the anticipation for all that is to come. In my mind, spring starts on March 1st and my whole outlook on life changes. With the Uganda trip in early March we will return to spring and the Charleston that we all love will begin to work its magic.

To save my sanity I was able to get out and fish one day last week with Zac and Dillon. We fished north of IOP and were out there with what seemed like a hundred other guys on flats boats looking for schooled up fish. It was pretty impressive to see how tightly schooled a lot of these fish were. With it being too windy to throw the fly rod we were working jerk shad and managed to pick up a number of nice looking fish. I definitely enjoyed fishing with Dillon and learning some new techniques and areas. Most of all though I just enjoyed being outside no matter how cold or wet it was!

March 15th cant come soon enough. Turkey time.

No comments:

Post a Comment