Saturday, February 6, 2010

Hard to believe

Its very hard for me to believe all that has happened over the course of the last 15 months. Life has changed a lot and I find myself today in a very different set of circumstances than I was in October of '08. I can very clearly remember sitting in the living room one night after Hannah had gone to bed and asking the Lord to change my personal, spiritual and professional life.

In the fall of '08 I was on cruise control in basically every facet of my day to day life. Hannah and I's marriage was good, work with Prison Fellowship was good, friendships were good but really nothing required any work and I was starting to get more than bored with things. I needed something in my life that would encourage growth and I just didnt have it. Everything was good but I needed something great. I needed something I could invest myself in and that would put me in over my head so that the only option that I would have is face it and move forward.

Interestingly enough, God didnt wait too long to answer that request and put so much on my plate that at times I re-thought my original ask. But now, just a little over a full year later I would say I am a different person. I have seen those challenges, I have seen growth, I have been stretched beyond my limits and it has forced me to be solely reliant on the Lord. I have become aware of my true strengths but I have also been hit in the face with God's sovereignty and all that it means.

Several things are clear to me about Palmetto Medical. One, is that God truly wants to bless the people of Masindi in a way that we dont fully comprehend. Two, is that he wants to create a community here in Charleston that starts with a trip to Uganda and ends with a relational transaction with Christ and later Christ followers in this community. Third, is that people from all places in life are drawn to what is happening here. And finally, It is overwhelmingly clear that the Lord is at work and it can be seen through his timing, provision and favor on all that has happened.

Monday will be a sort of milestone for me in the growth of this organization. On Monday, Michael and Amanda will leave for Uganda to oversee the construction of the medical center we are committed to building. This is what is very hard for me to believe. How in a years time did this start as a conversation, grow into an organization, build momentum and now warrant sending two very qualified people across the world to committ their lives to this?

Even though Im not moving with them I feel as though I am. I feel the weight of their decision and though it is certainly not on the same level I have been through many of the emotions they have to be experiencing. As friends I care about them both deeply and it is going to be tough to see them go. We have done everything that we can to prepare for them leaving but the thing that gives me the most confidence is knowing that the Lord is at work and he has great things planned for their lives there.

Lord - Thank you for all that you are doing in the world. Thank you for your love for us and how much you care about the finite details of our lives. Thank you for your love for the people of Uganda. Please help us to see even more clearly how much you cherish their lives.

Grow us in our trust of your plan. Help us to cling to your love. Make us receptive to your direction and give us the obedience to act as you lead.

Protect Michael and Amanda on every level. Protect Amanda's emotional health through this transition and encourage her in the times when she will feel alone and defeated. Protect Michael when he is feeling overwhelmed mentally and is struggling to know how to move forward. Grow their marriage through this experience and their knowledge that regardless of where they are that you are always near and long to be with them.

Give me the humility, patience, kindness, boldness and strength to be a great leader for this organization. In all things we pray that the glory will be given back to you for all that you are doing.

You are an amazing God and I love you and thank you.

1 comment:

  1. You are an incredible man. I am so thankful you are my husband. I am so thankful you are my best friend. I am so thankful that you love Jesus more than anything in the world and that you love me with His love. I am praying for you and support you in everything!

    ReplyDelete