Tuesday, March 16, 2010

COPS live in Kampala

So Michael and I are in downtown Kampala at rush hour on Friday afternoon trying to figure out exactly where Amanda, Kelly and Danielle are. The three of them had just taken a bus in from Masindi and we were playing a game of Marco Polo in a city of complete chaos. In Kampala there are basically no road signs and only about 5 or 6 major roads that change names constantly and have thousands of little side roads off of them with no demarcation. In order to get our bearings we pull off on the side of the road which just happens to be in front of the police station. This is what happens next:

Matt: You know we're in front of a police station right? (me being as cautious as always)
Michael: Its fine bro (Michael being as carefree as always)

Cop approaches car wearing fatigues with an AK47 and a baret

Cop: You can not park here. You are immediately arrested.
Michael: What?
Cop: You are going to be arrested. Give me your license.
Michael: I didnt know...we didnt know what we were doing.
Cop: Give me your license and pull up and to the left.
Matt: This should be interesting.
Michael: Alright man, let me get out of here and go BS with this guy for a few minutes.

Michael proceeds to get out of car with typical Michael style and start making some joke that the cop doesnt understand. Matt sits in car answering cell phone calls from Amanda wondering if Michael will get arrested and wondering if he will be forced to drive the roads in Kampala or come up with money to bail Michael out.

Cop: You give me 60000 UGS for this offense.
Michael: You give me a ticket and I'll be happy to pay the fine.
Cop: You dont want to do this. This is a very long process and its no good. You give me 60000.
Michael: Give me a ticket.
Cop: You give your friend (referring to himself) 10000.
Michael: Give me a ticket.
Cop: 10000 for your friend.
Michael: I need a ticket.
Cop: No ticket. I will pardon your for this serious offense.

The cop then proceeds to my door to give me a handshake and introduce himself and offer some advice about where the girls may be before wandering back to the station.

And people say there's corruption in Africa? Come on, its just a bunch of nice people trying to help soemone out.

2 comments:

  1. THAT. IS. HYSTERICAL. One of those moments where I wish I had a little camera follow around your life so I can peak in...

    ReplyDelete