Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tempting

Reading in Hebrews this morning I ran across a verse that for the last several years has put things in perspective for me in regards to how Christ relates to our temptation, suffering and human experience. Hebrews 2:18 reads:

Because He Himself suffered when He was tempted, He is able to help those who are being tempted.

Later in the book at chapter 4 verse 15, Paul (assuming he was the author) writes:

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin.

It is powerful to know that part of Christ's experience on earth was the same temptation that I face. Even more so to know that He suffered in the face of it but was never given to it. The temptation was real to him but it did not result in sin.

For guys I think we read this passage and all think the same thing when it comes to temptation...lust. Im sure this is half because its true but I also think we've been programmed to say that. Of course guys are going to be attracted to women and sometimes that attraction is going to go a step too far. But, I also think that there are temptations that are more subtle but that also divert our attention.

I find myself being tempted with all the opportunity that is out there in the world. My mind can often begin racing with business and ministry ideas around the globe. Opportunities arise and I can begin to entertain things without really checking to see if they align with what Christ is doing and where He is working. Im definitely not saying that a business or entrepreneurial mind is a bad thing but when new ideas distract from those places where God is already working then you may miss out on some amazing things.

Its very funny to me that Satan tries to tempt Christ with offering Him the world in Matthew 4. That in itself is a picture of how ridiculous and twisted Satan can be and the way that He manipulates truth. But, as I was thinking this morning I can definitely see how that temptation has played itself out in our world. Men and women who have given up everything in pursuit of money and a title. Again, being successful is not a bad thing but I just wonder how many people began to pursue the temptation of "you can have it all" and missed out on some amazing things that God was doing in their midst or would have loved to use their lives for.

Renew our minds and give us the strength to stay focused regardless of the temptation.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely think that I fall into this trap, too... I want it all and then some. I think the key really is to have a steadfast and undivided heart for the LORD and then we don't care about the things that please our earthly selves...

    ReplyDelete