Monday, March 29, 2010

Men's Fashion

There shouldnt be any. Fashion is a world that should be left entirely to women because they are pretty and therefore they are allowed to wear pretty things. Men should not wear pretty things because most men are not pretty. The exception would be the men from the Twilight movies that Hannah loves so much. Those are pretty men.

The average man should only be thinking about a few things when purchasing clothes.

First, is it comfortable? Why would a man buy clothes that are not comfortable? I have a lot of friends that are musicians, skaters and artists and they wear jeans that I often mistake for spandex. Im not ruling out the possibility that they are comfortable but you wont see skinny jeans on this fat boy. The only man that's allowed to wear jeans that tight is the Marlboro Man and sadly Wayne McLaren died in 1992.

Secondly, is it durable? For two years I only wore one pair of jeans. I only paid $16 for them brand new and I would have to say that is pretty good return on investment. If you've ever been at a store and thought about buying something specifically for one event you have failed to take durability into consideration.

Thirdly, does this go with my "uniform"? I am of the persuasion that men should have uniforms. You may have noticed this by the fact that I am always wearing the same thing. In case you're wondering what a uniform might consist of, here's mine:

Wrangler relaxed fit jeans
Chaps button up shirts
Columbia shorts
Pocket t-shirts
Vests (of every kind)
Leather shoes (boat, sandals, boots)

There are not going to be very many times you are going to catch me breaking uniform. In fact, if I thought I could really get away with it I would have seasonal uniforms and I would wear the exact same thing every day of the season. I do this in spurts of up to a week before Hannah gives me a subtle look like "you're kind of nasty...are you ever going to wash that?". The key principle of the uniform is this - you shouldnt have to think longer than 5 seconds about what you're going to wear.

Finally, dont be scared to become a chronic under-dresser. This does not apply to business settings of course but in social settings set your standard and maintain it. If you become known as the guy who wears jeans and a t-shirt to everything then no one is surprised when you show up in jeans and a t-shirt to everything. Case in point, we had 60 people at the house on New Years Eve and I had on shorts, a hooded sweatshirt and a blaze orange hunting parka.

Comfortable, durable, consistent and casual. That is men's fashion.

3 comments:

  1. I choose to agree to disagree with you about this post. I would personally love to see you in skinny jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, you had this train of thought at 6:33 am. Why are you thinking so intently about this at that time?

    Secondly, I do agree. This fully supports my Shades-of-Blue Ralph Lauren shirt wardrobe uniform!

    What do you think about men's fashion at the Gym? Can't wait to hear that rant, I mean post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scrubs can also be worn as a uniform at any time. The other day I wasn't even working but I just wore scrubs out to lunch and to a meeting.

    ReplyDelete